View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 9:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 CMS - Olympic High School Relief 

Post CMS - Olympic High School Relief
We have been living in Steele Creek for over 12 years now. In that time, we have seen 4 new Elementary Schools and a new middle school opened to handle the growth of the area. But we have not seen a new High School. In 2009, CMS listed Olympic High School as in need of overcrowding relief. At that time it was 150% over capacity. Given the growth of single family and multi-family construction in the area in the last 7 years, and the growth to come, it doesn't make sense that a relief high school for this area is more than 10+ years out.

Olympic High School was built in 1966 and has only had minor renovations in the past 50 years. The school simply wasn't built to hold the # of students enrolled. I firmly believe that the faculty and administrators of Olympic High school are doing their best with the resources they have and are continuing to produce remarkable results. But I have heard many stories of kids who have transferred to other schools, taken classes online, etc just because Olympic is too overcrowded. And I have witnessed first hand the sub par athletic facilities and # of trailers.

Isn't it time for this area to demand more for our students and the use of our tax dollars?

I have heard others say that they don't want a new high school because that would create a "have" and "have not" school for this area. I truly don't understand this argument. We all want what is best for all of our children. Yes, some areas of Steele Creek are more economically challenged than others. But if you look at each Elementary school, you will see a lot of diversity, and I am sure that CMS could find a way to balance the two high schools to ensure that they are a representation of our area as a whole.

By building a new high school, all students would benefit. Olympic would benefit because renovations would be easier to do with a student body that isn't overcrowded. And Olympic students would be able to take the classes they need and want.

It is time that we push not only for a new High School but also for major renovations of Olympic High School.

Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:08 am
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]