View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Misleading Neighborhood Names Now Showing up in Google 
webmaster

Post Misleading Neighborhood Names Now Showing up in Google
I just noticed a few days ago that Neighborhood Statistical Area (NSA) names used by the Charlotte Department of Neighborhood and Business Services in their Quality of Life Study are now showing up in Google Maps.

Whoever picked these names didn't know much about Steele Creek.

Five of the NSA names come from single neighborhoods within their NSAs: Eagle Lake, Olde Whitehall, Griers Fork, Yorkshire, and Pleasant Hill Road. These clearly were named after neighborhoods that had contacts on the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Planning Department's Neighborhood Contact List. Only Yorkshire forms a significant part of its Neighborhood Statistical Area. The others are a small part of their overall area, and are not centrally located within their NSAs, resulting in names that are placed outside the specific neighborhoods associated with the names in Google Maps. Using these names are like using the name "Steele Creek" to represent all of Mecklenburg County!

They use the name "Steele Creek" for the NSA south of Withers Cove and Shopton Road West, west of Steele Creek Road, north of York Road, and east of the lake. This, of course, includes only about a fifth of the area we know of as Steele Creek.

Dixie/Berryhill is about right, except that most of the population is within the Berewick community, which is separate for the historic area of Dixie/Berryhill.

But the stupidest name is "Brown Road," which is the area including Huntington Forest and the Crossings. I have no idea where Brown Road is. This makes no sense to me.

It was bad enough when these misleading names appeared in an official city study, but now they're on Google Maps for the whole world to see!

If the names in Steele Creek are this bad, there certainly must be more incorrect NSA names all over the city, and bad names all over Google Maps! I hate bad maps!

Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]