View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Noisy people 
webmaster

Post Noisy people
A couple of months ago, the Charlotte Observer published a column by Michael Gerson titled "America's most significant partisan split isn't red-blue." Gerson wrote, "One of the most significant divisions in American public life is not between the Democrats and Republicans; it is between the Ugly Party and the Grown-up Party."

He wrote, "The rhetoric of the Ugly Party shares some common themes: urging the death or sexual humiliation of opponents or comparing a political enemy to vermin or diseases. It is not merely an adolescent form of political discourse; it encourages a certain political philosophy - a belief that rivals are somehow less than human, which undermines the idea of equality and the possibility of common purposes."

He said the alternative to the Ugly Party is the Grown-up Party. "I am more comfortable in this party for a few reasons: because it is more responsible, more reliable and less likely to wish its opponents would die."

I also am more comfortable with the Grown-up Party. A few days later the following was published in the Observer's Forum:

Dave wrote:
I came to a similar conclusion years ago. I noticed that people on different sides of an issue tended to divide into a noisy group and a quiet group. Unfortunately, people tend to listen and believe the noisy people more than they should. What they don't notice is that the noisy people are mostly just noisy.

If they thought about what they were hearing, they'd realize the noise doesn't have much substance.

I tend to side with the quiet people, or as Mr. Gerson calls them, the Grown-ups.

Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:35 am
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]